31 July, 2018
Join our crew! KICVentures is a private investment company founded in 2005 by Harvard-trained Dr. Kingsley R. Chin, who brings unique experience to the intersection of medicine, business and information technology. We’re equipped to identify niche healthcare opportunities and encourage total global inclusion, beginning with our team. We’re about hands-on, heads-down efforts, complemented by a company culture that fosters engagement. Collaboration drives our innovation, and we work with the best and the brightest in the business – movers and shakers who’re all hands on deck for success. As evolution happens, we revolutionize.
The Senior Industrial Designer develops creative, high-quality design solutions for the KICVenture healthcare portfolio including SpineFrontier, AxioMed and NanoFuse. Additionally, this designer has a passion for user-centered design for our surgeon users to better care for their patients and can create strategic, high-level design solutions. This role is highly regarded both internally and externally as an expert on the design of medical devices within the KICV portfolio, works directly with executive managements and serves as a mentor to the KICV team of Industrial Designers.
Manage the NOVA Product Development Process
- Set the strategic direction for NOVA with executive team
- Execute the Company’s goals for the NOVA team
- Manage Industrial Design resources
- Collaborate with Special Projects / KICCreative on various company initiatives
- Manage Special projects, AMP, ION, SPD, TPR and outside consultants to translate initial concepts into tangible products
- Conduct market research ton continually innovate and brainstorm new ideas to develop
- Set priorities for all NOVA task items (new product development Internal NOVA projects and Concept Captures
- Maintain a high level of detail while working with deadline time pressures and changing priorities
- Correspond with vendors on quoting, negotiating, timing and samples, production and testing
- Manage and participate in all concept design activities from sketch ideation to CAD modeling, prototypes and initial testing.
- Manage intellectual property for SpineFrontier & KICV portfolio
- Review all IP considered and acquired by SpineFrontier from an outside source
- Interface with surgeons, engineers and marketing personnel
- Lead, train and mentor in-house industrial design direct reports
- Create a strategy for patent protection and execute / oversee KIC’s legal team in the application process and management of all patents
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to develop effective working relationships with all levels of internal and external contacts; peers as well as executive team
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Proven project management experience and ability to prioritize and complete multiple projects within a given deadline
- Successful history serving as a team lead and/or concept design representative on product development teams
- Ability to conduct and translate market research, feedback and input into creative product solutions
- A passion and knowledge with the talent to motivate and steer others within project teams
- Instill and exhibit positive team-member behaviors, including open and active listening skills, candid but professional sharing of ideas and opinions and a high energy drive for team achievement
- Passionate about product design with a strong creative flair and meticulous attention to detail
- Desire to work in an open, collaborative atmosphere where innovation, accountability and fun are highly valued.
The successful candidate will be required to possess
- 4 year degree in Industrial Design or equivalent
- 7+ years of industry experience in medical product design
- Exceptional portfolio of successfully launched products which showcases the design process
- Strong interpersonal skills; works well as part of a team and independently
- Proficiency in hand sketches, the use of Adobe Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop), SolidWorks and Keyshot
- Experience using 2D and 3D CAD design tools
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office including Excel, Project
- Travel 25-30% of time with some international travel
- This position operates in a mainly clerical setting. Routinely uses standard computer equipment, telephones, photocopiers, filing cabinets etc.
- Sitting for extended periods of time using a computer keyboard and monitor
- Frequently communicates with employees and vendors who have inquiries. Must be able to read, write and communicate to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate fluently in English
- Required to have the visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned
- Required to have close visual acuity to perform and analyzing data and figures, viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading at a distance that is close to the eyes.
- Maybe required to stand for extended periods of time when at surgical / surgeon visits or when traveling internationally
Environmental factors (optional)
With travel and surgeon visits, you may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens
Please no outside unsolicited recruiters